Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why it is wrong for religious fanatics to hate on gays and support Carrie Prejean


Everyone hates on Perez Hilton for hating on Carrie Prejean for her answer during the Miss California USA 2009 competition. I don't understand how this became a controversial topic because of an uninformed opinion. To recap during the competition judge Perez Hilton asked her what her opinion of same sex marriage was. She responded,

"Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one way or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. You know what, in my country, in my family, I do believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, no offense to anybody out there. But that’s how I was raised and I believe that it should be between a man and a woman."

I think it was a mystery to a lot of people why this beautiful young lady was being heavily criticized when she was trying her best to be polite.

It is because marriage is not solely a religious contract. "Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are acknowledged by the state, by religious authority, or both." Though many gays and lesbians are hoping for a progression in the church their main focus is a progression in the state laws. They are aiming for civil or secular marriages which is a marriage performed by government and not a religious organization.

The state and religion are two entirely different things. Her political beliefs should be independent of her religious opinions. By intertwining her political and religious beliefs she is disrespecting everyone who does not belong to the Christian faith. She is saying, "My country does not accept you because you do not believe in what I believe in." She could have remained true to her religious beliefs and said "While same sex marriage goes against my religious beliefs, all people in America are equal and deserve equal rights." Instead of (what I heard), "Christians are the most important people in America."

Why am I so sure of her ignorance about the matter? For starters she thinks gay people can be "cured". Second, when asked about civil unions in an interview with Van Susteren she says,

"My thought on civil unions? You know what, Greta? I don't have the answers to everything. I'm not running for political office. I don't have the answers to everything, you know, in the world out there.

But I think that there should be rights for people, you know, especially in California. I think that people that are homosexual should have some rights, you know, hospital rights, and things like that.

But I would like to be more educated on that, so when I do have a better answer for you, I will get back to you on that one.

But so far I just support traditional marriage, and that's my main focus."

If traditionally the constitution of marriage has had the option of being independent of religion then isn't a civil union a traditional marriage?

Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment